1. Food

Twist Off or Pry Top Beer Bottle?

By September 18, 2009

I was thinking about bottle caps this week and started wondering what you thought of them. Does it make any difference to you whether the bottled beer you buy has a pry top or twist off cap? Take the poll; make a comment; let's work out this important issue.

Once you're done here check out my other beer polls. Remember, vote early and vote often!

Comments

September 18, 2009 at 5:29 am
(1) Damian says:

Pry-top is better – it makes you look more like a man when you take open it using a lighter or window ledge

September 18, 2009 at 11:12 am
(2) Russ says:

Pry off. Then I can reuse the bottles for my home brew.

September 18, 2009 at 12:29 pm
(3) Shawn Connelly says:

Largely it’s an issue of perception, I think. Twist-top bottles are most closely associated with the American light lager style and facilitate ease of access for swilling right out of the bottle. No hardware – and no glassware – needed.

Some craft brewers, like Founders, are switching to a pry-off top for their bottles for this reason and … there are some that argue that twist-off tops are more likely to allow air into the bottle over time as they loosen slightly – causing oxidation -than pry-offs. I’m not sure of that, but that’s the rationale.

Oh, and I’m also in favor of pry-offs because they are my supply of bottles for homebrewing sans kegging!

September 18, 2009 at 6:26 pm
(4) Jason Turner says:

I agree that pop tops are the best, but for other reasons. I find that screw top bottles are not lip friendly. They have spiraling grooves that simply don’t feel good. Nothing feels better this time of year than popping the top on a Dogfish Head Punkin Ale and enjoying it right out of the bottle!

I would also add that I find most brewers (with notable exceptions of course) who choose to use screw tops, generally fill their bottles with dirty yellow water, not beer.

September 18, 2009 at 7:20 pm
(5) Russ says:

That’s an unfair assessment. I can think of quite a few microbrews that use screw-cap bottles. Goose Island, Summit, Sprecher, New Glarus, and Leinenkugel’s are just a few that I happen to have in my fridge at the moment, and they all make great beers.

October 8, 2009 at 11:02 am
(6) JSKC says:

The problem lies in the fact that most screw-off type bottles do not have a lip on the bottle’s neck large enough or in the right position for the capper to hold onto as you press the cap onto the bottle. You will often end up with lots of broken bottles as a result.

December 15, 2009 at 4:36 pm
(7) Alex says:

The difference that made up my mind is between the materials in the two caps. The twist off ones have to use nastier plastics (PVC) to keep a good seal, as they can’t put as much pressure on the rim. So drink a well aged twist off and you might be drinking one of the more toxic plastics.