1. Food

Beer and Puerto Rico

By June 21, 2006

Reader Ramon Sanchez of Puerto Rico shared some interesting facts about beer and Puerto Rico with me this week:
  1. Puerto Rico consumes currently around $800.0 Millions worth of beer annually. For a population of approximately $4.0 Million thatís a lot.
  2. We are prime market for some of the biggest international names in beer: Coors, Bud, Heineken, etc.
  3. We are close to be the second market for Heineken in the world.
  4. Heineken is the second beer in market share in Puerto Rico (around 20%) even though it is a premium price beer at almost double the price of the first one.
  5. Our local beer Medalla Light, is the first one in market share, though it benefits from steep local tax considerations. However, Medalla is the 11th beer producer in the US. and presently is only sold in Puerto Rico.
  6. We use beer to drink, to combine in some drinks, to cook certain recipes and some other alternative uses.
So, in Puerto Rico, we know beer.
Fascinating stuff, thanks Ramon!

Comments

January 9, 2008 at 9:01 pm
(1) Miguel Ramirez says:

Coors Light has the 48% of share Medalla has 24% and Heineken i think 10%.

March 24, 2008 at 5:10 pm
(2) Chris says:

Who distributes those beers in Puerto Rico?

March 25, 2008 at 9:14 am
(3) beer says:

Hi Chris,

It looks like Cerveceria India, Inc. handles at least some of the beers mentioned here.

-Bryce

August 4, 2008 at 11:26 pm
(4) Carmelo Ramos says:

I wonder, why I can’t find Medalla Light here
in Florida, USA. Caballeros, Medalla Beer is
Numero UNO on the islad by far. Hello!

August 7, 2008 at 2:23 am
(5) delawaresace says:

any idea why all the beers in PR are smaller then the ones on the main land. there all between 7 to 10 oz. strange

August 7, 2008 at 9:01 pm
(6) JL says:

PR beers are smaller because it is usually Hot Hot Hot and small beers can be finished before they warm up. Way down South where I hang out we still have seven or eight ounce millers and coronas. And the cases weigh less and are easier to deal with.

August 11, 2008 at 9:05 pm
(7) KV says:

We need to have the right to purchase Medalla Light in the USA; I suspect the American brewery can’t handle the competition as this is the best light beer on the market. Export it now, the Americans will love this beer.

September 6, 2008 at 12:49 pm
(8) bella says:

hey guys i need ur help…. i know that in this big city we live someone have to sale medalla light in ny.. im having a really big party and i need to be the main person in charge for this beer would anyone help me plzzzzz…….

April 17, 2009 at 5:16 pm
(9) KP says:

Where can I buy Medalla Light in the Chicago, IL area???

August 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm
(10) No Name says:

Arimitage Produce on Kimball and Armitage.

July 29, 2009 at 12:13 pm
(11) Emily says:

Do you know where I can find a full listing of the PR beer market share?

July 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm
(12) stephanie says:

I was in PR the end of June and fell in love with Medalla Light. Will it ever be available in the US

June 12, 2011 at 10:42 am
(13) Charlie says:

2011, I just returned from San Juan. I fell in love with Medalla Light while I was down there. The sales numbers stated in this blog are a little old I believe. A lot of Heineken is sold there but by far the largest seller in Puerto Rico is now Coors Light, followed by Medalla Light, Corona & Heieneken.

August 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm
(14) corinthian says:

Medalla light is the best beer I have ever had… period I really thought I could get it in the mainland I dont understand why we cant ….if anyone ever sees it on the market please give us a heads up!!!!!!!!!!!!