Reader Ramon Sanchez of Puerto Rico shared some interesting facts about beer and Puerto Rico with me this week:
Fascinating stuff, thanks Ramon!
So, in Puerto Rico, we know beer.
- Puerto Rico consumes currently around $800.0 Millions worth of beer annually. For a population of approximately $4.0 Million thatís a lot.
- We are prime market for some of the biggest international names in beer: Coors, Bud, Heineken, etc.
- We are close to be the second market for Heineken in the world.
- Heineken is the second beer in market share in Puerto Rico (around 20%) even though it is a premium price beer at almost double the price of the first one.
- Our local beer Medalla Light, is the first one in market share, though it benefits from steep local tax considerations. However, Medalla is the 11th beer producer in the US. and presently is only sold in Puerto Rico.
- We use beer to drink, to combine in some drinks, to cook certain recipes and some other alternative uses.